Tuesday 10 February 2009

Pennies from Heaven

Aint t grand when you suddenly have a crisis, and you have to fork out for something which doesn't fit into your budget. Then, all of a sudden you remember 'Piggy' sitting on the shelf which, for the last few months has swallowed all your £2 coins.

On counting 'Piggies' contents this morning we found we had enough to replace the 'Elsan' porta loo plus spare cassette and a new water pump.

The 'Elsan' cassette's have a large handle at the front which one pulls out in order to dump the deposit into the holding tank.

We had in total 3 of these cassettes on board Lady Elgar which mustve been about 15 years old. well, the last one finally gave up the ghost yesterday when the handle finally sheared off.

Piggy to the rescue and a quick visit to Denham Marina, coz Highline and Uxbridge are closed on mondays, and we are now the proud owners of a Thetford465 plus spare cassette.

The water pump....well....its been getting slower and slower so tomorrow i will pop into Highline and order a new pump, again courtesy of piggy.

I like Piggy Banks :)

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

What a worry for a moment there... So glad you had your piggy, Geoff! I used a porta potti for a year and a half, but nothing as sophisticated as having an electric pump on it. That looks very classy. And what's the cassette for? If it saves water, I should maybe consider having one myself. I have a normal loo that flushes into a macerator thingy and then pumps out, but it uses a lot of drinking water, and I'm reluctant to make more holes in my hull for an underwater type boat loo.

Simon said...

Geoff - only day I have off this week is Wednesday, but I'm at your disposal if at all useful - give me a shout if so?

Gongoozler said...

Geoff - sorry to hear that everything on LE seems to be packing up, it's the way of the world I fear.During our ownership we tried both Elsan and Thetford loos but preferred the Elsan. I used to strip the water pump fairly regularly to clear the deposits of limescale that seemed to collect around the diaphram and valves. Trevor.