Tuesday 2 June 2009

Oostende Voor Anker

Thanks to Laura and my mate steve conspiring together I was packed off friday afternoon to catch the Eurostar from St Pancras to Brussels and then local train to Ostend.
I knew Steve was making the trip in his new boat but being only 5 weeks before the expected arrival of Peanut I'd not made any plans as its a four day festival plus a couple of days either side for the crossing from England.

So it was a very nice surprise indeed to come home from work one evening last week and Laura presnted me with my train tickets. I finished work Friday morning, got a couple of hours sleep then caught the Underground from Uxbridge to St Pancras and just 2 hours later saw me waiting at Brussels Midi for the Intercity train to Ostend. Another hour and there I was, bum firmly in place on a chair in Flanagans bar drinking my first Grimbergen and catching up with the gossip from many old friends made over the years that we have been going to the festival.

It was the 10th anniversary of Oostende voor anker and I had only missed 2. Steve had only missed 1.

some pics of the event

London St Pancras Eurostar Terminal





Waiting at Bussels Midi for the connection to Ostend






Mercator dock looking towards the Station








My Berth for the weekend, MV Valonia an ex 1969 pilot boat





Ill add some more pics later when ive got them off the camera

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Wat leuk!! As they say over here, Geoff. I didn't know about the festival or we might have gone too...we weren't all that far from Ostend over the weekend ourselves. It all looks very colourful and lively, and your berth was great! What a great weekend for it too ;-) Looking forward to more of the pics...