Monday 3 November 2008

Make and Model?

Original post 17/06/08

Day 10
I was up and about by 8am and following the first brew of the day, left Nora sleeping and I set off down the Botley Road to find Halfords armed with my electrical component complete with box and Lucas part number.
I passed a cycle shop on the way and looked longingly at a smashing little folding pushbike in the window but payday is still to far away for toys like that plus the car needs MOT'ing when we get home.
Found Halfords and presented me at the parts desk. I showed them my item and enquired if they had any in stock?..." what make and model is it from?" they asked, "erm...its not, its from a boat" says I. A long sucking in of breath through teeth and shaking of heads brought the response,
"We can only search our records if we have a make and model" "what about the part number? are you not able to look through the store room to see if you have one?"
" Not without a make and model of car Im afraid"
Thankfully they did suggest a local Motor Factors which was another 20 mins walk further along the road....(oh for a folding push bike) so I plodded off and found the place in a little industrial estate. I showed the chap my Item and within 2 mins he was back with a replacement. smashing.
Arriving back at LE, Nora was up and about and not fancying any further exploration of Oxford we cleared the roof of all protrusions above pigeon box height in readiness for navigating under Osney Bridge.Following comments from Trevor, Lady Elgars original owner I decided to hold fire fitting the new part and waiting till we return to Iver to speak with Steve at the yard who has already mentioned his thoughts for the starter problem. Thanks Trevor, will check out your suggestions.
We Cast off and fought against the current towards Osney Bridge. We passed under with reasonable headroom although I did have to crouch down. Once through the bridge and the narrow sections we increased speed on the wider sections towards Godstow Lock


At Godstow lock, The Lockkeeper said he'd remembered our engine from a few days earlier. It appears he likes to have a decko in the engine room doors of passing craft and state he had already seen a 2 cylinder Gardner, an old Lister and now a 3 Cylinder Perkins....It seems he does different locks on a daily basis.
Finally through Kings lock and the sharp right turn towards the Dukes Cut, and then back on to the calm waters of the Oxford Canal.
Nora, having been spoilt by Thames Locks had a momentary lapse of lock working memory and walked upto the top gates of a full lock intending to wind the paddles to empty the lock. I promised her I wouldnt mention it.
Bridge 228 managed to do what Osney Bridge couldnt, All looked good on the approach but as we went under I noticed a nasty sagging bit in the centre. This managed to topple the coolie hat off the stove chimney which luckily plonked itself down onto the roof without going overboard but then the sag collected the exhaust pipe.....just on the top leading edge and brickdust and soot and a slightly bent pipe where the remains of the contact....Think I will use Trevors 'Titch Pipe' for the next days.
At Thrupp we took on water and emptied the lav.We finally tied up just before Northbrook Lock by about 7pm and as the evening was so lovely, the BBQ was fired up and burnt items of meat were offered to the Gods.
a few more pics


Back on the Canal

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Lovely account Geoff. I wouldn't mention Nora's lapse either ;) The photos make it all look positively idyllic. Would love to do the trip, but I fear my Vereenigin wouldn't pass through most of your locks there. At 3.2 metres, I think there are only certain stretches of water I could do with her.