Thursday 23 October 2008

A Slopey Start

Original post 11/06/08


Day Five
We were up by half eight for an early start to give us a full day in Windsor stocking up the larder and visiting the Castle.
We were at an alarming angle despite leaving slack ropes and it appears we had settled on some mud. No real problem coz when I pushed at the bank, both the stern and bow began to slip away from the edge.
Following the first coffee and cough and a drag of the day I did the usual engine checks and prep ready for the off. With some trepidation I turned the key and .....'click'....I attached the wire and ....'click'......I bumped the power by connecting the Domestic Batts and .....'click'.....I started the gennie and at 14v's ......'click'.....Nothing.....I spent half an hour faffing and messing and changing the starter battery for one i had with more cranking power and still nothing.
I returned to the galley for another brew and to get ready to call RCR. Not being happy with giving in, I returned to the engine room again and remembered that Trevor had mentioned that he had replaced the .....its either a relay or a solenoid. I found the old item and took off the current one and replaced it with the old one.......'click'.......I attached the wire and this time the starter turned and we were off.......I must try and get hold of a new thingy asap.
The plod to Windsor was still slow due to the flow of the river but the sun kept popping out and making it a very pleasant morning cruise....
We arrived and moored at the Island just past the railway bridge by about 1pm. We locked up and walked over to Waitrose to stock up on essential fluids.....its also Fajitas for tonight.
Once the stocks were back on board we then headed off to the castle.
Now back on board and a quick twiddle of the Sky Dish sees us ready to settle down later and watch the final of the Apprentice....Hoping the river flow decreases tomorrow to aid our passage but there are rain clouds gathering......wonder if I should water the plants?
Some pics of the day

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

The starting problem can't have made you comfortable. What do you do in locks if you have to turn off the engine? My last engine was an old hot bulb, and that was dreadful. I couldn't switch off in locks at all as it took twenty minutes to get the darned thing started again. Lovely pics of you and your Nora at Windsor.

I'd love to do this trip but will just have to content myself with sharing yours vicariously. I'm enjoying it very much so far ;-)

saltysplash said...

On the Thames you are required to turn off the engine so it can be a bit of a pain for vintage engines, I think If you need to keep the engine running, they will insist that you use the lock alone, which could mean a bit of a wait at busy times.