Tuesday 16 September 2008

Slough Festival Day 2

After re-reading my previous post I must admit to feeling rather guilty about my adverse comments on the weekend.
I didnt really want to be so negative so its only right and proper that I defend what really was a pleasant weekend which was only slightly marred by the organisation.
There were plenty of things for kids and families to do from boat trips to fishing lessons and watching the falconry. Some of the birds of prey they brought along were spectacular specimens

I like the way the handler is looking very suspicious of the Eagle
There was also ferret racing where the kids could gamble their pocket money away
There were also a decent if small collection of boats, one of which, Highlander, was set up to allow visitors aboard to see just what life aboard a modern Narrow Boat is like.
The Boat an Butty Freya and Christina where well turned out and I heard plenty of folk suddenly exclaim surprise at catching a glimpse of their Chicken Coop.
The Harbour Masters boat Ro-An was a lovely example of an old dutch Ark with a classic huge wooden rudder
Eventually though it was time to take down the bunting and flags and prepare for the return journey back to Iver via the Slough basin.
My glass was recharged by Kath with their Tring Ale to assist me in the journey, we set off for the basin.
It was obvious that we were approaching a heavily populated area as the beer tins and the signs of the human throw away society began to appear in the water....even the customary arm chair until arrival at the basin which is a rather sad little place with very little to show what mustve been there when it was first built.
We managed to turn and set off back without picking up anything obvious on the prop and passed Herbie on her way to turn at the basin.
Looking back away from the basin
Slough Basin
Lady Elgar having just turned in the basin
Nb Herbie approaching the basin
We pass Herbie and head back to normality
We arrived back at Highline just as dusk was taking a hold following a few dodgy things obviously round the prop. and within a couple of mins herbie pulled alongside and we made all secure.
It was back to work for Laura and myself the next day but Neil and Kath were off on their Lee and Stort cruise, so an Early night was the order of the evening for all.
I really do hope they hold the festival again next year and that we are off work again. Its never that bad really when you look back, and when I think about it, its more about what you make of it rather than what you expect of it.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

Nice account. Makes me want to go even more. Must be a bind getting all that stuff in your prop though! I thought the canals were quite clean these days but I've clearly got that wrong!

Vallypee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.